[Serusers] STUN server

Jan Pedro Tumusok jpt at firstmile.no
Mon Apr 11 23:38:40 CEST 2005

Andres wrote:

>> It is worse than that. The STUN taxonomy is brittle, there are NATs
>> which feature different behaviour than anticipated in RFC3489.
>>

> Right.  There is one we like to call the crap-nat.  This nat changes the
> source UDP port every few seconds.  So once the media flow is
> established it only works for 2-3 seconds until the nat switches to
> another source port.  Needles to say there is absolutely no way to make
> VoIP work unders these conditions.  We encounter one of these every few
> weeks, and the only solution is to have the customer change the NAT
> device he is using.  (these are usually ADSL modems with inbuilt router)

Wouldnt it be a good idea to document such things, ie create a
repository about what NAT devices actually work.

Just an easy list of

Vendor, Modell, NAT type, Work [yes|no], Any special step needed to get
it to work etc.

I wouldnt mind help administering it, if it maybe could be hosted on
onsip.org or similar sites.

Pedro