[Serusers] still no help - usrloc synchronization

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Mon Apr 11 08:39:17 CEST 2005

Alex,
Yes, the issue describe: stickiness, is important.  The big problem is that pure IP-based load balancing does not work as there are two parties in a call. You may well end up with messages from A going to server 1 and messages from B going to server 2. So, you need another way to make sure that all messages in one call is handled correctly.  Here Call-Id is useful.
    A SIP (forking) proxy, the Paul (and I), interpret you is nothing more than an application level load balancer.  And as Paul points out, you have the same problems (load balancer redundancy).  In addition, for large installations, the application level load balancer will become a bottle-neck.  Then you have maintenance, stability, etc and using a well-proven high-availability load balancer seems very appealing (like LVS).  You have mainly two problems: Make sure all SER servers present the public load balancer IP address (done by using record_route_preset() and creating a bogus virtual adapter with the public IP) and stickiness in balancing algorithm
    Or did you have another approach in mind?
g-)