[Serusers] SER + Asterisk + MWI

Jamey Hicks jamey.hicks at hp.com
Thu Sep 16 03:59:36 CEST 2004

Java Rockx wrote:

>Can anyone advise me on how to get the Message Waiting Indicator in Asterisk to
>notify phones that voice mail is waiting?
>
>I'm posting to this mail list because I'm using ser as my SIP proxy and
>Asterisk as a voice mail server. I'm not using any other Asterisk functionality
>other than voice mail.
>
>I assume that asterisk would have to send the SIP NOTIFY message to the
>registered  SIP clients via ser. So will I have to create a custom Asterisk and
>ser modules to get this to work?

I just looked this up today for someone else.  You configure the phone
or the registrar in Asterisk's sip.conf file:

[cisco-Jamey.Hicks]
type=peer
username=jamey.hicks
host=10.11.0.193  ; SIP registrar
mailbox=7922        ; Mailbox for message waiting indicator

Asterisk is sending a notify to my AOR with these headers:

Event: message-summary

and an example notify body:

Message-Waiting: no
Voicemail: 0/12