[Serusers] faster SER

Dave Bath dave at fuuz.com
Thu Oct 21 17:38:08 CEST 2004

I know the Zyxel 2000 Wireless phones to be bad with G729 (the default) and WEP enabled.

Usually, asterisk will sit in the media stream.  As the G729 codec needs licensing asterisk would have rejected it and defaulted to G711 a-law (probably).

As ser does not sit in the media stream, probably the phones tried to use g729 as they just directly connected the media streams.

Also, inherently the sound quality will not be as good from an 8kbps codec as a 64kbps codec...

Hope this has some pointers,

Dave