[Serusers] forward() and t_relay() differences

Michael Shuler mike at bwsys.net
Tue Oct 5 01:04:49 CEST 2004

My intent is to do SIP load balancing using a layer 4 hardware switch (such
as a Foundry ServerIron XL) or a layer 4 software switch (such as
UltraMonkey).

Since SER *could* operate in a completely stateless mode it could serve as a
per packet proxy in front of a series of stateful feature servers such as
Asterisk.  A L4 device by itself would not be enough and a stateless MUST be
in front to do the actually balancing because of SIP's flaw/design of
containing routing information throughout the packets life.  It would have
been nicer if it only carried a source and destination and worked more like
TCP/IP but unfortunately it is what it is.

Anyway, I about have everything working and I only seem to have a small
issue when the second SER server comes online with some strange message
passing between them.  Most of it I believe is caused by my lack of
understanding of how SER makes some decisions on where to send things.  I
think what would help is if I setup a "work in progress" web site that would
show all my config files and the layout of the whole thing along with an
explanation of why I decided to do what I did.  I should have it up later
today or tomorrow.

Michael Shuler, C.E.O.
BitWise Communications, Inc. (CLEC) And BitWise Systems, Inc. (ISP)
682 High Point Lane
East Peoria, IL 61611
Office: (217) 585-0357
Cell: (309) 657-6365