[Serusers] Re: External Notify (ser+asterisk)

Java Rockx javarockx at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 14:05:59 CET 2004

Mohammad,

The only reason to use sipsak an Asterisk server is because I don't know of any other way to have
Asterisk send sip messages directly to the SIP phones.

For example, you call me and leave me a voicemail. When you hang up your phone (after recording
your message) Asterisk has to somehow now contact my SIP phone and send the MWI NOTIFY message.
The problem is that my phone never registered with Asterisk - it only registered with SER.

So the only way I know to get Asterisk to send a message to an unknown target phone is to simply
use sipsak to send the SIP NOTIFY message to SER. Once SER gets the message it will send it to the
SIP phone - providing that it can indeed find a contact location for it.

Regards,
Paul