[Serusers] supported methods in SER

Srivathsan S srivathsan at deccanetworld.com
Mon Nov 29 08:04:46 CET 2004

Hi folks,

    I am trying to find out the methods supported by SER. I am aware that
SER is RFC-3261 compliant, but, do not know to what extent. If someone can
tell me what (in 3261) is supported and what is not, that would be nice.
Also, if SER supports any extensions (3262, 63, 64), please let me know.

After some Googling, I found that the basic methods of SIP are:

INVITE – to initiate a session

Re-INVITE – if, during a call, either party wants to change the media; for
example to open a video channel

ACK – to confirm session establishment and can only be used with INVITE

BYE – terminates sessions

CANCEL – to cancel a pending INVITE

OPTIONS – for capability inquiry

REGISTER – to bind a permanent address to current location

The other methods (found in extensions) of SIP are:

Other SIP method extensions are defined in different RFCs such as:

SUBSCRIBE – to subscribe to a service state change. sed for presence
(subscribe to an event and receive

notification), call-back (when other party becomes vailable), voice mail
notification, any event that can be

associated with a trigger (e.g., stock quotes, etc.)

NOTIFY – notify a change of service state (e.g., new voice message).Works in
parallel with SUBSCRIBE

MESSAGE – for Instant Messaging (user to user messaging). MESSAGE requests
carry the content in the

form of MIME body parts

REFER – call transfer

PUBLISH – publication of presence information to a server

Does SER support all the above Basic methods? Can someone tell me if SER
supports any of the extensions? Basically, I am trying to use SER for VoIP
integration and I am trying to get all the data I can about SER for
interoperating with various SIP phones. I will not be using Asterisk for now
(as a part of VoIP integration).

Thanks much,

Sri.

information and/or be subject to legal privilege of Deccanet Designs Ltd.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the originator
immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that
you are strictly prohibited from retaining, using, copying, altering or
disclosing the contents of this message.