[Serusers] Forking proxy ?

G. P. pagomen2001 at yahoo.gr
Thu Nov 11 14:23:48 CET 2004

Hi Girish, All

> > I have to implement some advanced SIP services
> like
> > parallel/sequential ringing, of all registered sip
> and
> > PSTN phones.
> >
> > Can SER support that kind of functionality ?
>
> You can use use the command append_branch() to
> implement parallel forking with SER. SER doesn't
> have any built-in mechanism to do sequential
> forking. However, you can use failure routes in your
> script to implement this feature.

Sorry for asking such trivial question for you, but
in the seruser.pdf there is the following WARNING:
 ser’s request processing language allows to
make   request decisions based on current URI. When
 a request if forked to multiple destinations, only
the  first branch’s URI is used as input for
script
 processing. This might lead to unexpected results.
Whenever a URI resolves to multiple different
next-hop URIs, only the first is processed which may
result in handling not appropriate for the
other branch. For example, a URI might resolve to an
IP phone SIP address and PSTN gateway
SIP address. If the IP phone address is the first,
then script execution ignores the second branch.
If a script includes checking gateway address in
request URI, the checks never match. That might
result in ignoring of gateway admission control rules
or applying them unnecessarily to
non-gateway destinations.