[Serusers] Question to the list for a Windows environment

Roberto Hiribarne Guedes hiribarne at uclv.edu.cu
Wed Mar 31 00:54:52 CEST 2004

sip auth is like http auth ... basic and diggest ...

so the servers and clients support it

if you use basic auth, in the server side you hace the plain password and you may check it against AD, for example ... using LDAP or Kerberos APIs ...

but if you use diggest, I don't think you may do it ...

Microsoft invented NTLM, and their clients and servers suported it ... (IIS and IE)

Samba Proyect worked over ntlm auth and developed an auth module for squid ...

clients that support ntlm can auth using ntlm ... domain, user, and password

but you have to suport basic for clients that do not support ntlm (domain/user and pass)... such as every web client except IE ... ;-)

I think it's the same for sip ... I don't know of a soft telephone suporting ntlm ... if you happened to know tell me.

I am interested in more comments about solutions to integrate SIP in a Microsoft Active Directory environment, in matters of users.

Robert.