[Serusers] Official response of the iptel.org SER team

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Tue Mar 30 13:14:53 CEST 2004

Official response of the iptel.org SER team to the
mediaproxy vs. nathelper dispute.

Because situations like this hurt SIP Express Router project in general, we
decided to review the problem by project members who are not connected to any
of the mentioned modules. We hope that both parties will consider this
statement objective. Our main motivation is to develop a state-of-the-art
free SIP server. Unfortunately this goal cannot be reached with pending
copyright issues.

We carefully reviewed both, mediaproxy and nathelper modules. From the source
code it is evident that mediaproxy module has been based on nathelper module.
One example (but not the only one) is pingClients() function in mediaproxy.

In accordance with Section 2 of the General Public License (GPL) the module
shall be considered as a work based on nathelper module. The requirements of
Section 2 apply to the module as a whole, because it has been published as a
single piece of work, no matter of how much code derived from nathelper does
the module contain. No parts of the module can be considered reasonably
independent.

The GPL allows to distribute modifications and/or work based on a program
protected by the GPL under the terms of Section 1 of the license. Section 1
allows to distribute the work provided that appropriate copyright notice is
displayed.

mediaproxy is a work based on nathelper module, and nathelper module is
protected by the following copyright:
(c) 2003 Porta Software Ltd
As a derived work mediaproxy module shall display this copyright in addition
to copyright of other people or companies.

It is a common practice in the SIP Express Router project (as well as in many
other open source projects) to display the copyright notice at the beginning
of the file. A copyright notice of the original file shall never be removed
when forming a work based on that file.

To satisfy the requirements described above, source files of mediaproxy module
containing code derived from nathelper module should display the following
copyright notice:

Copyright (C) 2004 Dan Pascu
Copyright (C) 2003 Porta Software Ltd

As the maintainer of the official SER code tree and CVS we would like to ask
the authors of mediaproxy module to display appropriate copyright notice.

There are two possibilities to do this:
- Split the mediaproxy.c file in a file containing the derived
  code, which will have also Porta's copyright, and a file containing
  only non-derived code which will have only Dan's copyright. Note that
  the file containing the derived code can have also Dan's copyright (he
  has copyright on the modifications).

- Give Porta copyright to the whole mediaproxy.c file (if Dan  wishes so).

  Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul <andrei at iptel.org>
  Jan Janak <jan at iptel.org>
  Jiri Kuthan <jiri at iptel.org>
  Daniel-Constantin Mierla <daniel at iptel.org>