[Serusers] SER with Multiple Contact

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Sat Mar 27 09:53:04 CET 2004

At 12:23 AM 3/27/2004, Alex Bligh wrote:

>--On 25 March 2004 14:40 +0100 Jiri Kuthan <jiri at iptel.org> wrote:
>
>>>Not necessarily. For instance consider UA1 and UA2 are identical UAs on
>>>different DSL lines. They get dynamic IP. The DSLAM reboots. Lines come
>>>back up slowly. If ser gets a valid register request for UA1, it seems
>>>to me it should remove all trace of the old IP address ASAP, as "I am
>>>here" rather implies "I am not there (where there != here)".
>>
>>How would you like to distinguish a parallel registration from from
>>reregistration behind a changed IP address?
>
>May be I am missing the point, but on an identical username registering
>in two places, in my application at least, I'd like only the last to
>count.
>If what you are saying is that you want to be able to support
>multiple simultaneous registrations of the same user at different IP
>addresses, that's fine, but I would guess that is probably not the
>most common application.

My opinion is that multiple registrations are a feature and they also
handle some change-of-IP-address situations more robustly. I don't
think that there are many real problems which can be solved by single
registration.

Anyhow, in case you think it helps you I'm very happy to find the
piece of information in our documentation for you. Here it is
http://www.iptel.org/ser/doc/seruser/seruser.html#AEN996

-jiri