[Serusers] SER with Multiple Contact

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Sat Mar 27 00:23:11 CET 2004

--On 25 March 2004 14:40 +0100 Jiri Kuthan <jiri at iptel.org> wrote:

>> Not necessarily. For instance consider UA1 and UA2 are identical UAs on
>> different DSL lines. They get dynamic IP. The DSLAM reboots. Lines come
>> back up slowly. If ser gets a valid register request for UA1, it seems
>> to me it should remove all trace of the old IP address ASAP, as "I am
>> here" rather implies "I am not there (where there != here)".
>
> How would you like to distinguish a parallel registration from from
> reregistration behind a changed IP address?

May be I am missing the point, but on an identical username registering
in two places, in my application at least, I'd like only the last to
count. If what you are saying is that you want to be able to support
multiple simultaneous registrations of the same user at different IP
addresses, that's fine, but I would guess that is probably not the
most common application.

[note I did not suggest that a second registration with the same IP
address should overwrite the previous u/n at that IP address; I meant
the old IP address entry for UA1 should be erased, not that the old
UA entry (UA2)s against the IP should be erased]

Alex