[Serusers] prepaid service

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at portaone.com
Fri Mar 26 15:47:23 CET 2004

Klaus Darilion wrote:

> Hi Maxim!
>
> Can please share some technical details in advance? How have you
> implemented the B2BUA: Is it totally independent from ser, a ser module,
> a sems module? Or is it built on existing software (vocal)?

No, it is completely independent and is not based on any existing
software. It has been written by me from scratch in python.
Performance-wise it comparable with Vovida one but has not been
optimised in any way so that there must be some room for improvement.
Unlike Vovida one, which is quite a mess inside, I've tried to make it
layered as much as possible, so that it should be very easy to code some
call control logic without dirtying hands with SIP protocol internals. I
think that my goal has been reached, since I've already easily created
several absolutely different applications:

o "conventional" b2bua.

o sip callback b2bua that doesn't use REFER, BYE/also or any other
non-mandatory SIP method or hack for its work, just plain INVITEs and
re-INVITEs, which should be supported by any SIP device.

o MWI agent, application which can on demand turn on or off MWI (message
waiting indicators) in lot of SIP UAs registered in a proxy during a
small amount of time.

> I'm asking because one of my students is interested in developing a
> B2BUA and we don't want to re-invent the wheel.

If you don't mind signing NDA I can send you a code, so that you can see
if it is worth waiting for the release. I would like to have NDA since I
have not decided on the license yet (most likely GPL but some
free-for-non-commercial-use is also an option under consideration). In
spite of the recent copyright turmoil with nathelper/mediaproxy I would
like to ensure that my interests are protected as much as possible.

-Maxim