[Serusers] 100 trying for non_INVITE transaction

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Tue Mar 23 13:11:34 CET 2004

At 12:55 PM 3/23/2004, Klaus Darilion wrote:
>Hi!
>
>If ser relays an INVITE transaction stateful (t_relay), it automatically sends a provisional response (100 trying) back to the caller. When t_relay()ing non-INVITE requests (e.g. BYE), there will no (100 trying) produced. Any special reason for this?

RFC3261. (I have to admit though I am not 100% convinced leaving 100 out from
non-INVITEs was a great buy.)

>So if the request timeouts (no repsonse within 500ms), both - ser and the callers UA - will retransmit the request.
>
>My way to solve this would be:

>if ((method!="INVITE") && (method!="ACK"))
>        sl_send_reply("100", "trying...");
>t_relay()

I'm not aware of a practical harm of doing so.

>Another possibility would be to relay non-INVITE requests stateless. Any comments/suggestions on this?

I have been thinking of that too, just to avoid memory consumption.
Fine as long as you don't need statful functionality such as
accounting.

-jiri