[Serusers] Messenger - Delay to see contact status

Mark mark at pyme.net
Fri Mar 12 11:33:05 CET 2004

Hello:

I've installed SER in a linux box, Windows Messenger 4.7 in 2 Win XP boxes
and MSN Messenger 4.6 in a Win NT, my objective is to deploy a local network
IM system.

I have created 3 users with

mike
mark
john

Authentication is mysql based, and it works fine.

In Windows Messenger, Mike has added Mark and John as contacts. Mark has
added Mike and John.
In MSN Messenger, John has added Mark and Mike as contacts.

My problem is: when a user (Mark) initiates a session, he can see correctly
all contacts and the real state of these contacts (online, offline, ...).

But the online contacts can't see Mark online until some minutes: after this
delay (from a few seconds to some minutes), online contacts receive a
notification like "Mark initiates session".

Users that log in can see real contact status. But these contacts can't see
this login until some time.

Is there a way to reduce this delay?. I've played with some values like
registrar default expires, usrloc timer_interval, ... without success.

Thank you,
Mark