[Serusers] (newbie to) b2bua And Ser

Derek Toner Derek at 4ecalls.com
Tue Jun 15 16:02:21 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I am attempting to put together a system involving Ser, so that customers
can make VoIP calls, and depending on the destination, they get billed.
We would like to be able to cut people off if they run out of credit, so we
have decided to use b2bua.

>From what I've been reading about this (b2bua working with ser), it would
seem that it works.
However, I'm having a few problems, and was kinda hoping someone would be
good enough to spare some time to answer my questions.

Currently, what we have is this (in a nutshell):
Softphone <-----> Ser Server (+ developed Plugin) <-----> b2bua <--------->
SIP Gateway.

With the flow of call being as follows:
Softphone initiates the call, and passes an INVITE message to the Ser
The Ser does his biz on the message (the config file is available if
required), and once all goes well, forwards the message to the b2bua
b2bua does his biz again on the INVITE, and forwards the message to the Sip
Gateway.
Sip Gateway connects the call, and call proceeds until someone disconnects.
Call is billed, if it is a PSTN call.

All seems simple so far. However, my main problems are as follows:
1) Sometimes the messages (INVITE, ACK, BYE) seem to get caught in a vicious
loop, and won't break out of it, even though the max forward headers is set
to 10. I assume this is a bad config file error, and results in this loop.
However, I've changed the file so amny times at this point, I'm not exactly
sure where the loop is beginning.

2) Sometime when I make a call, the tmie it takes to connect results in the
call being disconnected before it connects (or just after). As a result, the
destination customer wouldn't humanly have enough time to get to the phone
and answer it (unless they had the phone surgically attached to them). I
feel that there is a bottleneck/delay somewhere (perhaps related to question
1), and as a result the time to connect is way too long.
Is it a case of I have too many components, and there is a delay, or
something similar.

These problems are bad enough when I'm performing single user testing, but
when we take on board 20/50/100/500 customers, it's going to become a rather
large head-ache :-)

Any help would be most appreciated.
Regards,
Derek