[Serusers] Voice Mail options for an SER environment

Jamey Hicks jamey.hicks at hp.com
Tue Jun 15 13:59:23 CEST 2004

Steve Blair wrote:

> Hello:
>
>  I'm interested in how this community is providing voicemail service
> to IP phone users registered to a SER proxy. If you can speak to this
> point I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide. Specifically I'm
> interested in:
>
> 1) What product is providing voice mail service?

An alternative to sems is Asterisk, which is a full open source PBX.  In
our installation we are only using it as a voicemail server.

> 2) With this system can users manipulate messages via the
>    telephone set?

Yes, via a separate dial in number.  It also is configured to email
voicemail to users. Asterisk writes voicemail to per-user directories,
so it is also easy to provide web access to voicemail.
I imagine that it would not be difficult to configure/modify sems to
provide these same services.

> 3) If the answer to #2 is yes then how is this functionality
>    implemented. Do you provision a lead number for users
>    to call into voicemail?

We provision a number to call into voicemail.

Jamey