[Serusers] Broken "SIP Aware" Router

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Fri Jul 30 11:45:59 CEST 2004

At 11:40 PM 7/29/2004, Andres wrote:
>We have started having problems with customers in BellSouths ADSL network.  New customers are being given the Westell ADSL modem which appears to be "SIP Aware".  But the implementation is terribly broken.

Well, I think that Application-Level-Gateways (ALGs) is _fundamentally_ broken
concept with very negative impact on interoperability, security and software
engineering.

There will be attempt to create an effort documenting these issues in the upcoming
IETF meeting; till this effort brings fruits it will take some time. Some enlighted
vendors are aware of this: Cisco/Linksys gave up on the idea to introduce SIP
awareness in residential routers.

Thank you for your report.

-jiri