[Serusers] Broken "SIP Aware" Router

Andres andres at telesip.net
Thu Jul 29 23:40:49 CEST 2004

We have started having problems with customers in BellSouths ADSL
network.  New customers are being given the Westell ADSL modem which
appears to be "SIP Aware".  But the implementation is terribly broken.

The symptoms are that SIP INVITES cannot penetrate the NAT on the Modem
even though we have a permanent Keep-Alive from the inside (every 15
seconds).  Furthermore when the customer tries to make a call, the modem
changes the source port of every single packet of the dialog.  Thus
breaking the SIP dialog completely.

Our interim solution was to setup these customer on an alternate server
listening on a different port.

For everybody's reference the modem version is:  Westell B9061003006 and
the Software is: 03.00.61

I have tried to contact Westell directly but they have not answered.  I
hope this is not something thats going to start happening with all modem
manufacturers or else were going to have loads of trouble.

--
Andres
Network Admin