[Serusers] SER, Radius and /etc/passwd

Steve Fraser sfraser at sierra.apana.org.au
Sun Jul 18 08:05:39 CEST 2004

Hi All,

I'm trying to implement SER into an existing system, and having problems
with radius authentication. RTFM and lots of google hasnt helped!

The existing working freeradius server uses Unix (/etc/passwd) file (on
FreeBSD) to authenticate users who dial into a modem server. I'd like to use
the same accounts and passwords for SIP users, using the same radius server.

I'm using the default modparam values for module auth_radius.

However, the doco suggests to me that I have to use Digest authentication
when I call radius_www_authorize. But the cleartext password is not
available to the Radius server(ie I'm not using entries in the radius
"users" file) so I cant see how it could do Digest authentication at its
end. The existing authentication uses Auth Type := System.

So, can I get SER to do cleartext auth to the radius server (both are on the
same, isolated subnet, so I'm not worried about traffic being captured) Is
there a service_type or something else?

Any advice appreciated

Steve