[Serusers] 2nd Instance of SER for SEMS startup

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul pelinescu-onciul at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Wed Jul 14 15:22:28 CEST 2004

On Jul 14, 2004 at 09:14, Steve Blair <blairs at isc.upenn.edu> wrote:

> Hello:
>
>   I have a second instance of SER running on the same box as the
> first instance. The first instance is our proxy server the second
> exists only to integrate SEMS with the failure_route block. It
> seems that each instance of SER and possibly SEMS too must
> be started in a specific sequence. Has anyone looked into this?
>
>  What I'm seeing is that if the 2nd instance of SER is started
> first then administrators using serctl experience problems accessing
> certain functions. Specifically I am seeing a 'ul_dump' does not
> exist error when issuing the serctl ul show command.

The problem is you start both ser instances with the same fifo, so the
 ser started the last will always delete the first ser fifo and you will
 be able to access only the second ser via serctl.

Set fifo=/tmp/some_other_file in one of your ser.cfgs and use
 SER_FIFO=fifo_name serctl ul_dump  to distinguish between the 2 sers.

Andrei