[Serusers] 2nd Instance of SER for SEMS startup

Steve Blair blairs at isc.upenn.edu
Wed Jul 14 15:14:27 CEST 2004

Hello:

   I have a second instance of SER running on the same box as the
first instance. The first instance is our proxy server the second
exists only to integrate SEMS with the failure_route block. It
seems that each instance of SER and possibly SEMS too must
be started in a specific sequence. Has anyone looked into this?

  What I'm seeing is that if the 2nd instance of SER is started
first then administrators using serctl experience problems accessing
certain functions. Specifically I am seeing a 'ul_dump' does not
exist error when issuing the serctl ul show command.

   If I start the 1st instance (proxy) of SER first I do not get this
error.

   Thinking this was due to missing loadmodules in the 2nd config file
I copied the loadmodule statements from the 1st config file to the 2nd.
I no longer have issues with serctl regardless of the startup sequence
but now calls that use to fail over to SEMS are getting a fast busy.

   Am I missing something about the startup sequence of 2 instances of
SER ?

Thanks,Steve

--

ISC Network Engineering