new sems ivr module, was (Re: [Serusers] Initiate a call from SER)

Richard mypop3mail at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 23:56:48 CEST 2004

I am not sure if FIFO can handle all SIP methods. It
can definitely do INVITE, REFER and NOTIFY.

One way to create b2bua or any other application to
manipulate the media is through a high level script
language, such as Perl and Python.

In sems, there is a new ivr module which enables you
to do that.
(http://lists.iptel.org/pipermail/sems/2004-July/000493.html)
When a call comes in, the module invokes a user
written Python/Perl script. In the script, you can do
whatever available in the normal Perl/Python
languages, such as verify user info in a database and
send an email. It can interact with sems and ser, such
as transfer a call with REFER, callout with INVITE or
send a message indicator light with NOTIFY. The module
also provide a long list of functions for the script
to call, such as DTMF detection, play multiple media
files, record a message. Because of using
multi-thread, it can handle play/record/detect in
parallel.

We have a full feature voicemail built for TDM card.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxvm/. It is being
ported to work with sem's new ivr module. So you are
not limited to sems's original voicemail plugin.

The biggest advantage of the new ivr module is that it
enables fast development of new services. Python/Perl
is much easier to write and maintain than writting
your own C/C++ code. You don't even need to restart
ser/sems to start new services, just change the
script, you are done. Althougt the new module is named
ivr, it is not limited to ivr. New functions are being
added to enable connect medias of two/more SIP calls.

Thanks,
Richar

http://lists.iptel.org/pipermail/serusers/2004-March/006394.html