[Serusers] request for comments

Zeus Ng zeus.ng at isquare.com.au
Thu Jul 1 04:28:03 CEST 2004

Jev,

See below.

> > From the experiment, I found that there
> > is a fundamental weakness in ser (plus UDP plus NAT) to support a
> > distributed SIP environment. I'm not saying it can't be
> done. However,
> > to make ser more distributed, I think there is a need to
> redesign the
> > way ser handle user location.
> >
> > The lab environment I have is 4 ser proxies and 2 ser location
> > servers. The 4 ser proxies were used as front end for proxying SIP
> > requests. They have a SRV record in the DNS server for UAs which
> > understand this record. For UA that doesn't understand SRV, the DNS
> > also reply the proxies IP in a round robin fashion.
> >
> > When a UA lookup the IP of the proxy, it get one from
> either the SRV
> > record or round robin A record.
> >
> > All REGISTER requests are forwarded from the proxies to the primary
> > location server. This is than replicated to the secondary location
> > server by t_replicate. So, the proxies has no knowledge of UA
> > location. Only the location servers know where to reach the UA.
> >
> > For other SIP requests, I have tried two different methods
> to handle
> > them.
> >
> > 1. Forward all requests to location server and use record_route to
> > keep the proxy in the path:
> >
> > This works great to maintain dialogue as INVITE, reINVITE,
> BYE, CANCEL
> > will all proxy back to the location server which has the
> transaction
> > state. OTOH, it is poor in NAT handling since the location
> server was
> > never directly contacted by the NAT device. The nat ping
> will not keep
> > a hole in the NAT device. Also, it has no performance
> improvement over
> > one single "proxy+location" server as all requests end up
> in location
> > server.
>
> So you had the backend location server contacting the UAC
> directly? I'm
> attempting to route the invite back through the originating front end
> proxy that has the nat session already established with the
> natted UAC.
> At the moment this only works because I am rewriting the (hardcoded)
> hostname in my config, but I'm looking at doing this
> dynamically so that
> any requests to the user location server will have their hostname
> rewritten to the previous hop.

Stupid idea, can't you save the proxy front end IP in SQL DB?

> > 2. Proxy querying UA location via SQL
> >
> > In this method, I've written a small SQL script to be run
> by the proxy
> > via exec_dst to check the UA location from the location server DB
> > backend. (I know that DB is not the best place to check
> location but
> > it is easier than writing C program to query the memory
> USRLOC on the
> > location server.) This works best for performance as the
> proxies are
> > sharing the requests as well as RTP proxying. However, it is
> > relatively poor in NAT and transaction as the INVITE, BYE
> and CANCEL
> > can be handled by different proxy due DNS resolution.
>
> I really want to keep my operations within SIP messaging
> only, and not
> having to rely on external mechanisms such as sql queries. This
> maintains our flexibility to use any SIP compliant device.
> It's a great
> idea thogh! :)

Well, RFC does not mandate how proxy get UA location from location server.
If you want to stick with SIP or want the memory version USRLOC, I suppose
you can write a module function "loc_lookup()" to send REGISTER request with
no "Contact" header to the location server. The reply should contain all UA
location. I think this is the better way to do it. However, it's easier for
me to do SQL that C right now. Hopefully someone will have the time to write
such module.

> > One way I see ser going distributed is to follow the idea of squid
> > plus some enhancement. The group of proxies are put into
> partnership.
> > When the proxy receive a REGISTER request, it check whether
> one of its
> > partner has a record of that UA or not. If yes, it forward
> the request
> > to the other proxy and forget it. Otherwise, it save the
> location in
> > its memory, do NAT stuff and becomes the authoritive proxy
> for that UA
> > until the REGISTER expires. When other request comes in,
> the proxy do
> > the same check with its partner again and forward the
> request to the
> > authoritive proxy. This way, the authoritive proxy
> maintains the nat
> > ping, shares the RTP proxying and keep trace of transactions.
> >
> > When a new proxy comes in, we just need to tell ser that there is a
> > new member in the partnership. (Though, we need to find a
> way to tell
> > ser about this without restarting so that it maintains the
> USRLOC in
> > memory) Instantly, this proxy can serve new UA that was never seen
> > before or its REGISTER has expires somewhere.
>
> This sounds like a cool idea, I'm not familiar with squids proxiy
> partnership model, but what you explain seems sound to me.
> Perhaps the
> ser proxies could use SRV records to learn about new 'partner' ser
> proxies? Or would this be a miss-aplication of the SRV feature?

The SRV records could possibly serve the need and has the advantage that ser
does not need restarting.

> > The only thing I haven't figured out a solution would be
> how to pick
> > up UA location when one of the proxy fails. I don't like the way
> > t_replicate works as it requires hard coding other proxies in the
> > script and needs restarting ser for failover.
>
> If a proxy that is maintaing a NAT session with a UAC goes
> away, I see
> no way of passing off this session/location to another server except
> just waiting for the UAC to re-register.

True for NAT. But there are UAs on public IP as well.

The trouble we are facing is NAT. If all UAs are in public network (e.g.
IPV6), the problem disappear.