[Serusers] SER, IPv6, IPv6/IPv4 interworking and more

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Tue Jan 27 13:59:54 CET 2004

On 27-01 13:00, CURRO_DOMINGUEZ wrote:
> Hello
>
> Again, thank you very much. But with your answers, newer questions
> appear.
>
> Well, If I have understood all right, with RTP proxy I can establish a
> communication between v4 and v6 clients, so I can 'jump' the problem of
> not SDP translations. Is this OK?

  rtp proxy can tranlate the media streams, but there must be something
  which will put IPv4/IPv6 address into SDP respectively and force RTP
  proxy when necessary (when IPv4-IPv6 conversion is needed). That's the
  missing piece.

> And I would like to ask you about the simplest scenario I can imagine
> to interconnect IPv4 and IPv6.

  SER sitting on the boundary and having access to both networks.

> A box (probably IBM with Linux or Sun/Solaris 8) with two cards, one
> IPv6 and other one IPv4. This box acts as a Proxy Server and Registrar.
> But it can acts as IPv6/IPv4 translator (I just have to configure
> ser.cfg to listen on both cards and enable Record-route, haven't I?).
> And finally this box can acts as RTP Proxy. So, all the features on the
> same machine. What do you think about this scenario?

  I would recommend linux. Also note that all the media traffic will go
  through your box when RTP proxy is used.

> Does RTP Proxy work on Solaris 8?

  I have never tried, but somebody reported it was working if my memory
  serves.

    Jan.