[Serusers] loose routing problem

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Thu Feb 26 23:23:16 CET 2004

In some situations ser inserts two Route header fields (for example
UDP->TCP traversal). Such route header fields have a special parameter
so that ser knows that there are two of them and it should remove both
of them when processing the message, example:

Route: <sip:12 at ser.host;lr;r2>
Route: <sip:23 at ser.host;lr;r2>

Unfortunately there are many broken implementations that remove unknown
parameter from Route header fields and even such that remove lr
parameter so ser can receive:

Route: <sip:12 at ser.host>
Route: <sip:23 at ser.host>

If a previous host was a strict router, you will receive:

METHOD sip:12 at ser.host SIP/2.0
Route: <sip:23 at ser.host>

loose_route will rewrite the Request-URI with the route header field and
you will have a message with the IP of your server in the Request-URI.

Now imagine what happends if uri == myself follows.

That's one case, another case is when you receive message like this:

METHOD sip:1.2.3.4 at callee
Route: <sip:your_server;lr>
Route: <sip:foreing_server;lr>

Route containing your_server will be removed because it belongs to your
server and the message will be forwarded to "foreign_server". But the
Request-URI does contain a different value -- so all subsequent tests in
the config file which operate on the Request-URI will be wrong.

loose_route returns 1 in those two cases and 0 in all other. When
loose_route returns 1, you know that you should just apply all security
restrictions (like when forwarding to a PSTN gateway) and send the
message. All the tests and modification which are performed when you are
processing a request establishing a dialog should not be applied here.

  Jan.