[Serusers] Re: [Asterisk-Users] INFO/DTMF retransmissions in * not absorbed?

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Tue Feb 24 01:18:50 CET 2004

Andres,

thanks for your reply. I beg to disagree, here are the arguments:
1) Having INFO is imho a useful thing: it allows elements out of the
   media path to control DTMF-based service logic. Otherwise, you
   will end up processing media which affects bandwidth and latency
   noticably and does not scale.
2) Apart from the out-of-order argument, reprocessing retransmissions
   is a bug worth fixing. It is responsibility of transaction layer
   to absorb UDP retransmissions and never let app see them.
   (Similarly like TCP does not pass retranmissions to apps.) I think
   there are more cases for proper transaction processing other than just
   DTMF/INFO.
3) out-of-order delivery may or may not be an issue: gnerally, one would
   need to mainain a kind of playout buffer like for RTP. O-o-o delivery
   does not  matter to me personaly since I send DTMF/INFO in stop-and-go mode.
   (BTW, I think the text in the RFC is not entirely correct, re-INIVITE
    should not cause CSeq gaps. Nevertheless, the RFC does not prevent
    anybody from implementing an "INFO playout buffer").

-jiri