[Serusers] latest release, distribution, etc.

Wed Dec 29 01:03:16 CET 2004

Gurol Akman wrote:
> + Which one is the latest stable source distribution of ser: 0.8.14 or
> 0.9.0? The latest link points to the 0.8.14 folder which suggests this
> must the latest release but then there is also a 0.9.0 folder.

At the moment, 0.8.14 is stable!
0.9.0 is in a "preview state" - no new features, making thinks stable

> + Is ser distributed in source code format  only or is it also available
> in binary format? If it is available in source code format only, is
> there a way to create installable packages (i.e., binary rpm packages)?

The stable release will be available in rpm's and other packages. But
bugfixes are not aplied to the packages - so if you want to stay
up-to-date you have to checkout from cvs and compile yourself. Also if
you need non-default features (e.g. radius), you have to recompile ser.

If you use debian, you can use the dpkg-buildpackage after adopting the
config files in the debian directory.

> If available, I'd like to use rpm packages since ser source distribution
> does not seem to support the 'make uninstall' target.

Don't know - never made an rpm myself.

regards
klaus