[Serusers] Question about general SIP timers in production enviroments.

ZyXEL - Jan Pedro Tumusok jpt at zyxel.no
Thu Dec 23 21:16:32 CET 2004

Ricardo Martinez wrote:
> Hello list.
> 	Does someone knows which are the best or most common timers for :
>
> 	- REGISTER Expire? How often i send the REGISTER message to SER.

I have no clue, but I guess that should be decided based on the size of
your user base and what type of customers you have ie how often do they
re-register from a new IP etc.

> 	- If i'm behind a NAT and i am sending NOTIFY messages to mantain
> the bind open, which is the optimal timer for this NOTIFY messages?
> 	-

This varies with the NAT implementation and also if you use TCP or UDP
on the UAC/UAS, I guess. TCP usually got a higher timeout value in the
NAT devices than UDP, the devices I have worked with, have used 180
seconds for UDP timeout in the NAT table, so less than that atleast if
you use NAT and ZyNOS based devices.

Pedro
--
With kind regards

    Jan Pedro Tumusok - ZyXEL Communications AS
    Nils Hansens vei 13 - N-0667 - Norway
    Tel (+47)22 80 61 80 - Telefax (+47)22 80 61 81
    Did you check http://www.zyxel.no today?