[Serusers] Question about general SIP timers in productionenviroments.

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Fri Dec 24 08:48:09 CET 2004

This is dependent on the type of deployment and your preferences.  If you
have a deployment scenario with fixed line replacement, you probably have
users who don't move around a lot.  Then 3,600 seconds is a typical number.
    Sending NOTIFY as a way to keep the NAT open is something you should
avoid. I don't know who started this, but sending an empty UDP is more than
enough and does not require ser to do any processing of the incoming packet.
Of course, if NOTIFY is used for communicating something, it's a different
thing...
    The minimum ping time configurable in UAs is often 20 seconds.
Normally, you could ping every minute or so and everything would be fine.
The problem is that you will not know which UAs that are behind NATs with
low expiry time. Also, if the NAT mapping table starts getting full, the
expiry time will often be reduced.
g-)