[Serusers] smpp support

Rao rao_ser at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 21 10:30:26 CET 2004

Hi Klaus,

You make good points about using existing software such as Kannel. IMO we need a well engineered and thought out solution not a hack so either Kannel should be enhanced to support SIP messages or there should be an http module for SER (may be a variation of sipsak) to interface with Kannel.

Rao.

Hi Rao!

Rao wrote:
> Hi Klaus,
>
> Thanks for your comments. What you are proposing sounds interesting.
> I am wondering if it would make more sense to just to have an SMPP module
> for SER. Why use Kannel if SER can speak SMPP.

Of course an SMPP module for ser would be nice - but it is a lot of work
and this work is already done in kannel. So why not reuse existing software?

> We don't need to use the
> msilo module on the send from SER as the SMSC should store the messages.
> What do you think ?

What if the SMSC is down or the SMPP link is down. Then you have to
reject incoming messages - or store them for later delivery. This queing
is already implemented in kannel. Furthermore you would like to multiple
SMPP links and routing rules. This is also already done in kannel.

>From reading the kannel mailing lists I saw that it is not always that
easy to implement SMPP, as several SMSC have some kind of "dialect"
which requires tweaking (be liberal what you expect ...). kannel has a
long experience in acting as SMPP client. Therefore i think it is better
to reuse the SMPP functionality of kannel but find a smart way of
interacting between ser and SMPP.

regards,
klaus