[Serusers] SER crashes on presence? Bug?

Haipeng Jin haipengj at qualcomm.com
Fri Dec 10 02:06:14 CET 2004

Hi, All,

Please verify whether this is a bug in SER: I used Windows messenger (WM)
to test SER PA module and here is a sure way to crash SER:

1. start WM on machine 1 registering as user A (assuming user B is in
contact list).
2. start WM on machine 2 registering as user B (assuming user A is in
contact list).
3. Log out user A on machine 1.
4. Log out user B on machine 2.
5. Go to step 1.

You don't need to repeat this process many times (usually single digits of
rounds) to crash SER. There are several message types involved in this
process: SUBSCRIBE, REGISTER, NOTIFY and responses to these messages. The
SER usually crashes on REGISTER message during step 3 or 4. It seems that
there is some erroneous memory referencing during in handling the
presence/subscription.

Please check the following link to see my ser.cfg and also why I can not
get DEBUG info even though I have set debug to 9.
http://lists.iptel.org/pipermail/serusers/2004-December/013811.html

Originally, I thought this problem only happens to WM because it is not
standard conformant as mentioned by Jiri in some of the previous messages.
However, I tried the same thing use Kphone and SER still crashes. The only
difference is that it take many cycles of 1~4 to crash SER since it is not
sending so many REGISTER/SUB as WM does.

I am using ser-0.8.14 on Redhat Linux Enterprise 3.

Any info with regard to this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Haipeng