[Serusers] MySQL Accounting - How To Record Negotiated CODEC?

Java Rockx javarockx at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 04:27:21 CET 2004

Hi All.

I got the thinking about this and now I'm not so sure it's as easy as I once thought.

At what point in SER do we actually know which CODEC the caller has finally chosen? I mean if
CallerA sends an original INVITE to CalleeB and SDP payload of

m=audio 1234 RTP/AVP 97 101
a={iLBC}
a={G729}
a={GSM}
a={ULAW}

and CalleeB replies with 200 OK and the following SDP

m=audio 54324 RTP/AVP 18 101
a={G729}
a={ULAW}
a={speex}
a={iLBC}

Is there anyway to know which CODEC CallerA will really begin sending RTP with? The way RFC3261
reads to me is that CallerA is not obligated to honor G729 as stated in the "200 OK" from CalleeB
because the RFC says that CallerA *SHOULD* use G729 but may use any CODEC common to both parties.

So at what point do we actually know the real CODEC that is used?

Also, accounting seems to become difficult because I would rather only account for INVITE and BYE
messages because of the shear number of ACKs and other types that clutter our CDR table.

Thoughts anyone?

Regards,
Paul