[Serusers] How Can I Rewrite The URI When Dialing 411 Directory Assistance

Steve Blair blairs at isc.upenn.edu
Sat Dec 4 19:13:43 CET 2004

   A somewhat brut force method I use is to add a rule to the digitmap or
digit pattern in the phone itself. For example, an unprovisioned phone that
loads the generic config file,  of any supported manufacturer, off our tftp
server ends up with a digitmap file that sends all calls to a specific
helpdesk
number. It doesn't matter what digits this type of user presses all calls
get sent to the help desk so they can be provisioned.

   Once provisioned loading the generic config file loads the same digitmap
file but now the phone also gets a phone specific config file. This file
specifies
the "provisioned user" digitmap file that overwrites the generic one. In the
"provisioned user" digitmap file  we rewrite 511 and 911 to be our local
Safety Office phone number.

    This approach prevents an unprovisioned phone from mangling the service
yet attempts to help the call get provisioned. At the same time a
provisioned
user doesn't need to think about where emergency calls go. We tell them in
the phone config (we also check the called number in the proxy for extra
measure).