[Serusers] NAT + Clients directly connected to SER

Michael C. Cambria mcc at fid4.com
Tue Aug 31 18:44:14 CEST 2004

Zeus Ng wrote:

> Provided all clients are inside your perimeter and not having another NAT in
> front of them, you can safely use SER without NAT. Just make sure you
> specify:
>
>  listen=xxx where xxx is the private of your FreeBSD box.

At present I listen on 3 IP interfaces, the public one, and the 2
private ones.

> Note that it will not communicate well with outside world in this
> configuration. If you need that, than yes, your clients will be detected as
> NATed and you have to use the public IP interface for SER.

Thanks.  I do need both "inter-office" communication (no NAT) as well as
via the public internet (via NAT).  The config seems to be working
(after commenting out the section that does not forward to private
addresses.)

I added a log() to the route scripts to see for myself what was
happening.  The nat test is always true.  I asked the question however
because, as you say above, SER will work just fine without NAT.  I
wasn't sure how SER would treat the "Inter-office" calls, since NAT is
not involved.  I wasn't sure if my config was wrong or now.

Thanks,
MikeC