[Serusers] SER becomes very slow

Tirpák Miklós mtirpak at sztaki.hu
Tue Aug 31 15:43:22 CEST 2004

Hello Jan!

On 08/31/04 14:56, Jan Janak wrote:
> On 31-08 09:07, Tirpák Miklós wrote:
>
>>Does SER do any DNS query on startup?
>

>   Yes, to determine hostnames and aliases that will be "local" to the
>   server, from listen directive.
>

>>In case of enum DSN query the DNS
>>server responded within one second according to the log.
>

>   And did ser block after that ?

No, it kept on running.

>>I saw that the parsing of ser.cfg was also slow when watching the log file
>>with tail -f /var/log/messages:
>>
>>Aug 30 10:00:42 iptel1 ser: loading module /usr/lib/ser/modules/sl.so
>>Aug 30 10:00:43 iptel1 ser: routing table 0:
>>Aug 30 10:00:43 iptel1 ser: if (
>>Aug 30 10:01:02 iptel1 ser: };
>>
>>20 seconds :( This section of the log is attached.
>

>   Do you have debugging enabled (debug higher than 3) ? If so then
>   syslog can easily become a bottleneck, because ser will write lots of
>   debug messages.

Yes, debugging is set to 7 and the /var/log/messages file is 130 Mb (rotated daily). I will set debugging to 3 and wait
some days. We use nagios to control the service which measures the response time. Usually it is about 70 msec, let us
see if any alert messeage occures.

>>An interesting line in the log:
>>DEBUG: open_fifo_server: FIFO stat failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>

>   Check whether the file exists, of what type it is and if SER has
>   permissions to access it.

The file exists, but I think that SER rewrites it. It does not matter in case of this.

Thank you,
Miklos