[Serusers] SER becomes very slow

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Tue Aug 31 14:56:41 CEST 2004

On 31-08 09:07, Tirpák Miklós wrote:
> Does SER do any DNS query on startup?

  Yes, to determine hostnames and aliases that will be "local" to the
  server, from listen directive.

> In case of enum DSN query the DNS
> server responded within one second according to the log.

  And did ser block after that ?

> I saw that the parsing of ser.cfg was also slow when watching the log file
> with tail -f /var/log/messages:
>
> Aug 30 10:00:42 iptel1 ser: loading module /usr/lib/ser/modules/sl.so
> Aug 30 10:00:43 iptel1 ser: routing table 0:
> Aug 30 10:00:43 iptel1 ser: if (
> Aug 30 10:01:02 iptel1 ser: };
>
> 20 seconds :( This section of the log is attached.

  Do you have debugging enabled (debug higher than 3) ? If so then
  syslog can easily become a bottleneck, because ser will write lots of
  debug messages.

> An interesting line in the log:
> DEBUG: open_fifo_server: FIFO stat failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

  Check whether the file exists, of what type it is and if SER has
  permissions to access it.

   Jan.