[Serusers] Still trying to find out where the AA Application Framework can be downloaded.

Richard richard at o-matrix.org
Wed Aug 25 01:52:18 CEST 2004

Hi,

Currently ser supports using exec to run a shell script and export various
SIP fields as environment variables. It is definitely doable to call an
external script language, like Python or Perl, very similar to sems ivr
module and mod_perl/mod_python. The biggest issue I can see is the
performance hit. Ser needs to process the SIP message very quickly and be
scalable.

I am more leaning toward a different approach. Since there is no need for
many features in a Shell/Perl/Python script, we probably can define some
simple script syntax. Make all SIP fields available to the script. Then have
some basic functions supported in the script, for example, query a database
to get some value based on some SIP fields, save a message in the database,
or add a new SIP field. The script support can be very similar to the way
cpl script works. Upload and compile it to the database and call it in the
ser module.

I can imagine several uses for this script. First add the Sip message
fields, e.g. for PBX like features, add Alter-info or Remote-party-id based
on from-uri and to-uri. Lots of existing modules does this type of things,
but putting them in one place would be nice. Secondly one can change request
uri, e.g. regular expression to change to an internal extension number, or
some fields otherwise hard to change, e.g. change SIP reply 183 to 180
(don't flame me for providing the ability for some not very nice change,
e.g. the from-uri). Next one, for B2BUA, we can save the transaction state
in the shared memory or database and access it late. This can also be used
for tracing active calls.

Cheer,
Richard