[Serusers] Enum as location-database

Andreas Granig a.granig at inode.at
Thu Aug 12 15:08:08 CEST 2004

Hi all,

Just thought about adding a private enum-db to my system and use it as
kind of location database in addition to the location-table in mysql.

This would have the advantage that I could handle number suffices for a
PBX behind an ISDN telephone adapter rather easily. Example: such an UAC
is registered as 012345 at 1.2.3.4. Someone now calls 0123451000 at my.domain,
and enum resolves this to 0123451000 at 1.2.3.4 by applying a proper regexp.

Now the problem is: how do I keep the enum database up to date? The enum
module doesn't provide anything for that.
The easy part is performing a DNS-update when someone successfully
registers, by calling an external script. But how do you delete the
entries from DNS when they for example expire?

Or is enum not supposed to be used for that anyway?

Cheers,
Andy