[Serusers] authorisation, voicemail

Greg Fausak greg at addabrand.com
Mon Aug 9 15:58:21 CEST 2004

On Aug 9, 2004, at 4:30 AM, Milivoje Mirovic wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have 2 simple questions:
>
> 1. What is the difference between www_authorize and
> proxy_authorize functions?

When a request comes to the SER proxy that it
feels compelled to authenticate (like an INVITE or REGISTER)
the *_authorize function creates a challenge and
bounce the request back to the requester.
I always use proxy_authorize, but I have also used www_authorize
in the past.  I believe you would use www_authorize if you were
a UAC, and proxy_authorize if you are a UAS (User Agent Client|Server),
but I do not know for sure.

I did have an issue with a specific UAC one time, I can't remember the
make.  It *would not* respond to the www_authorize and I had
to use proxy_authorize for it.  Since all the other UACs I mess with
respond to either I decided to start using that instead.

---greg