[Serusers] Re: Strange error on registration

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Mon Apr 5 16:18:05 CEST 2004

On 04-04 20:49, Alex Bligh wrote:
> Jan,
>
> >  No, it should not get into this state. All expired entries should be
> >  deleted in the next timer run once they are loaded into the memory. To
> >  find out why it does not happen in this case, enable debugging,
> >  restart the server and let it run (until the cleanup timer hits). It
> >  should print some error messages.
>
> OK - I have been deliberately avoiding restarting ser in case it clears
> the condition just through the restart, and I lose some data that would
> otherwise be useful for debugging. Can you confirm there's nothing else
> useful I can find? The server hasn't been restarted since this happened.

  I see, please restart the server to see if it disappears. If yes then
  it is working as expected, if no then there is a bug in usrloc.

> >  No, this should not happen. When you restart the server it loads all
> >  the contacts from the database into memory. If an update comes
> >  (REGISTER message) it will update the entry in the memory and then it
> >  tries to update the entry in the database. The entry in the memory is
> >  valid even if the database update fails. That way ser can work even if
> >  database connection is broken.
>
> That (the entry in memory being valid even if the database update fails)
> /doesn't/ seem to be happening. The database update is failing, and that is
> causing ser to 500 the REGISTER, and the internal memory copy does not
> update (or "serctl ul show" would show the new copy). So it seems that
> there can be at least one database update failure mode where the entry in
> memory does not update, and ser does not continue to work.
>
> I'm using db_mode 1 if that helps any.

  OK, I thought that you were using db_mode 2. Mode 2 will not complain
  about this because it does all writes in background. Mode one is does
  all reads and writes immediately so if db fails then the request
  fails.

  You are right, in db_mode 1 ser should recover, I will fix this,
  thanks a lot !

     Jan.