[Serusers] MSN compliance with SIMPLE standards

jaime.gil at orange.co.uk jaime.gil at orange.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 20:03:45 CEST 2003

Hello,

We have been trying SER with MSN clients for some time now. We are now using
other clients, like Kphone 3.12 for internal chat and presence. The server has
been working perfectly, without disruption and very work to set it up.

We want to start deploying new services on top of SER and, among one of the
enablers, we have thought about a Presence Server. We have been trying the 2
possible ways to implement this:
- Via a Presence server (using the pa module).
- Using proxy mode (merely relaying SIP messages between clients, capturing
relevant messages between clients).

The first option does not seem to work. Presence seems to appear "Away", no
matter if the presentity is online or not.
So we tried the 2nd option. We want to store the presence information of all the
users on the server. To do that, we record-route SUBSCRIBEs and NOTIFYs, and
that way we are able to get the presence information out of the message body in
NOTIFYs. However, we have noticed that when an MSN Messenger client (acting as a
presentity) notifies a watcher, it does so in a strange way that we believe is
not standard (at least with v 4.6). The Request URI on the NOTIFY has the
following format:

>From the presentity:
NOTIFY sip:<presentity-id>@<server-ip>  (MSN Messenger's behaviour)

While according to the SIMPLE specs should be:

>From the presentity:
NOTIFY sip:<watcher-id>@<domain/server-ip>   (Kphone's behaviour)

Is this correct according to the SIMPLE standards? Was it solved in later
releases of MSN Messenger?

All this may be solved when the PA module becomes ready...

Regards,

Jaime

Important.
Confidentiality: This communication is intended for the above-named person and
may be confidential and/or legally privileged. Any opinions expressed in this
communication are not necessarily those of the company. If it has come to you
in error you must take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to
anyone; please delete/destroy and inform the sender immediately.

Monitoring/Viruses
Orange may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current
legislation.  Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.

Orange PCS Limited is a subsidiary of Orange SA and is registered in England No
2178917, with its address at St James Court, Great Park Road, Almondsbury Park,
Bradley Stoke, Bristol BS32 4QJ.