[Serusers] Compiling

Dovid temp-1060626446 at xchangetele.com
Tue Sep 16 17:37:54 CEST 2003

Every once in a while there is a post about problems compiling. I can give a
couple of pointers based on my experience.
I am using RedHat 9. I downloaded mysql binaries and unzipped them to
/usr/local. I created a link as /usr/local/mysql. In order to compile, I
need the following:
cd /usr/local/mysql/include; ln -s . mysql
Add a line to modules/mysql/Makefile:
                -L/usr/local/mysql/lib \
so that the whole file is:
# $Id: Makefile,v 1.21 2003/05/23 15:43:43 andrei Exp $
#
# WARNING: do not run this directly, it should be run by the master Makefile

include ../../Makefile.defs
auto_gen=
NAME=mysql.so

# mysql.h locations (freebsd,openbsd  solaris)
DEFS +=-I$(LOCALBASE)/include -I$(LOCALBASE)/include/mysql \
                -I$(LOCALBASE)/mysql/include -I/usr/pkg/include
# libmysqlclient locations on RH/Suse, Solaris /OpenBSD, FreeBSD
# (Debian does the right thing and puts it in /usr/lib)
LIBS=-L/usr/lib/mysql -L$(LOCALBASE)/lib -L$(LOCALBASE)/lib/mysql \
                -L$(LOCALBASE)/mysql/lib/mysql/ -L/usr/pkg/lib/mysql \
                -L/usr/local/mysql/lib \
                -lmysqlclient -lz

include ../../Makefile.modules

You might be able to modify the Makefile rather than create the link.
May I request that this be incorporated in a future version, as this is a
standard install as per mysql's instructions?

On another note, when I compile I get many errors similar to:
Makefile.rules:81: action.d: No such file or directory
Makefile.rules:81: crc.d: No such file or directory
and also: cfg.y contains 1 shift/reduce conflict and 38 reduce/reduce
conflicts. (Is this an error?)

Everything seems OK though. Any comments?

Dovid