[Serusers] Implementing Voicemail

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Thu Sep 11 00:17:05 CEST 2003

At 11:44 PM 9/10/2003, Steve Dolloff wrote:

>>>  I did place this portion inside the myself check
>>>and it still tries to transfer to vm after the time expires.
>
>>I'm puzzled -- did not you want to transfer to vm after the time
>expires?
>
>I will try to make this clearer.  I am behind an ATA with a SIP proxy of
>209.242.10.153.  If I call someone else registered on my domain and they
>are not available, I want to go to voice mail.  If I call 1-800-555-1212
>from my phone, I do not want my sip proxy to reroute the call to
>voicemail after 10 seconds if no one answers(or ever for that matter).

 I guess 1-800-555-1212 is a teleophne number behind a pstn gateway, right?

 then you need first to desing a good numbering plan. e.g.:

 if (uri==myself) {
  if (uri="9[0-9]*@") {
    # calls to IP users; voicemail is used; set up failure route here
  } else { # if the number does not begin with 9, we route to PSTN
    rewritehostport("gatyeway.somewhere.com:5060");
    t_relay();
    # we did not setup voicemail handling here
  };

>Right now if I dial 18005551212 from my handset, I see the destination
>as sip:18005551212 at 209.242.10.153 on the server which matches to myself
>and ser tries to send it to voicemail.

If you want to call pstn, than set up a numbering plan, distinguish
this option in the plan from ip destinations, and grant it a different
handling (no failure_route).

>Someone calling into the network is not a problem.  They will never hit
>our server unless the destination is local.
>
>>>This is the part that I really need help with!  When the call timer
>>>fails, the call goes to the route[1].  How do I get it into voice mail
>>>from that point?
>
>>See bellow, I think that should work.
>
>This is what I had originally, and I get the following syslog.
>

>Sep 10 16:36:36 voip2 ser: parse error (127,37-38): Command cannot be
>used in the block
>Sep 10 16:36:36 voip2 ser: ERROR: bad config file (1 errors)
>Sep 10 16:36:36 voip2 ser: ser startup failed

I see -- that's actually a bug in SER. We only tested for remote
voicemail and never gave an intergrated version a try. It is now
fixed on CVS. Feel free to update from CVS, recompile and retry.
Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for reporting.

-Jiri