[Serusers] where is ser.cfg used on iptel.org server?

Felix Schmid felix at belugalounge.net
Sun Sep 7 22:12:46 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 22:04, Jan Janak wrote:
> Hello, comments inline.
>
> On 07-09 21:30, Felix Schmid wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I remember having read somewhere that the 'ser.cfg' file used at
> > 'iptel.org' can be downloaded somewhere in order to be used as an
> > example for many of the functionalities ser offers. Unfortunately I
> > can't remember where I read this, nor did I find it on the ftp server...
> > :(
> >
> > Is this config file still available for download?
>
>   No, unfortunately it is not available anymore.
>
> > I am mainly asking because I am looking for an answer for the following
> > phenomenon:
> > I have SER running on my home network (on the gateway). When I try to
> > send an IM to my account at iptel.org using kphone and I use my gateway
> > SER as an outbound proxy, everything runs smoothly; I get a message back
> > from iptel.org that the IM will be delivered to me as soon as I login
> > the next time (what will not happen until I solved the NAT problem ;)).
> > Now, when I try the same without using my gateway as an outbound proxy,
> > I get the beloved message from iptel.org that it doesn't like my private
> > Contact address.
> >
> > The only way the two requests differ is that the one using the outbound
> > proxy uses a record-route
>
>   This is a bug in our configuration because Contact header field
>   shouldn't be checked in MESSAGEs. We will fix it, thanks.

Damn! I was expecting this! This will take away the last working piece
from my setup :(  Now I won't even be able to send IM's to myself to
read them later using the webfrontend :-)

>   And now why you get different response when you use a record-routing
>   proxy.
>
>   If a SIP messages contains Record-Route header field then we
>   do not check what is in the Contact, because the server will not use
>   the header field anyway. Further messages will be sent to the URI in
>   the Record-Route. Inserting a private IP into Contact is perfectly
>   legal in this case because the record routing proxy might be in a
>   private address space and probably knows how to route such requests.

As I have just posted in another mail - the record-route shows my
private ip-address. ??

>   If there is no Record-Route then our proxy uses Contact to route
>   further requests and thus it check if the URI in the Contact is
>   reachable.

Thanks for the explanation - the config file would still have some
educational value.

cheers
felix

--