[Serusers] Multiple SIP - PSTN Gateways

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Mon Oct 13 21:43:03 CEST 2003

At 09:23 AM 10/8/2003, =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Tirp=E1k_Mikl=F3s?= wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I was looking for the same script at May 2003. You can find Jiri's and Jan's answers in the archive, the thread is "forwarding unanswered call - once more". Sorry, but I could not try the script, because the backup gateway was required for another project. I hope I will do it in some month.
>
>I am also interesting in load balancing. Do you plan to extend the capabilities of SRV dns query? I mean supporting of multiple SRV records: load balancing in case of equal priority values, failover with different ones. Can this be a solution for both problem?

Embarassingly, we resolve SRV but don't retry if primary fails. We will
implement it certainly, I am just not sure when is that going to be.

As for distributing load accross a gateway pool, it quite works
with failure_route processing -- it gets us the ability to try again
at some other place. It doesn't provide predefined distribution as
it "amortizes" the first gateway, whereas backup gateway is only
used when primary is unavailable or overloaded (501 or other negative
reply coming back).

If one wanted to have a well-defined load-distribution scheme for
a downstream gateway pool, DNS/SRV or a specialized module could
be used -- I'm not yet sure which would be better off.

-jiri