[Serusers] Does SER support virtual IP interfaces?

Michael C. Cambria mcc at fid4.com
Wed Nov 26 17:08:34 CET 2003

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2003 at 17:59, Michael C. Cambria <mcc at fid4.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've installed ser-0.8.11 on FreeBSD via ports.  Things run fine on a
>>private LAN.  I have setup a pp2p tunnel, which shows up as ng1 in
>>FreeBSD's ifconfig.  This allows Windows users at the remote end of the
>>tunnel to see the FreeBSD box just fine.  The pp2p tunnel runs over a
>>NAT'ed, public IP address to another box which does the same thing.

[deleted]

> Yes, it is supported (there shouldn't be nay problem if the packets
> reach ser).  Try to dump the packets on the interface and see
> if they really reach ser. If so, enable debugging in ser cfg and look in
> the log for errors.

Thanks Andrei.

This helped a lot.  Apache, various test socket applications etc. all
worked.  SER did as well.

I'm up now.  I think the problem I had was that the IP address for the
SER end of the pptp link wasn't in DNS.  SER didn't think it was the
destination, even though the IP address was the one ser.cfg had for
"listen=".  I added this IP address to the A record for the system and
things worked.

I then added the other LAN interfaces to ser.cfg (the LAN that I tested
my SER setup with earlier, before trying the pp2p link) and it too
(still) works.   Things look good.

Support for "tunnels" in SER is a fantastic feature.  This is a great
way to get around NAT for private office to private office connections.

Thanks,
MikeC