[Serusers] multiple SER instances / REGISTRATION problem

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Mon Nov 24 11:10:13 CET 2003

Greg,

The string passed to www_authorize or proxy_authorize cannot be used to
distinguish the domains because it is not related to user location, it
even doesn't have to be a valid domain.

The string is put into realm parameter of the digest challenge and it
can be any value, for example "foobar".

In a multidomain setup this parameter is usually empty and the server
picks it from SIP messages (From or To domain is taken, depending on the
type of the message).

You can serve multiple domains even with one instance of SER, that's
the reason why we have the domain column in location table. SER will always
load all row from the table upon startup.

If you would like to have multiple server instances accessing the same
database then you would have to create a separate table for each
instance. Note that using different tables is much faster and efficient
than using one table for everything.

The reason why we have this "mixed system" is that storing everything in
a single table allows greater flexibility because you don't have to
change your script (which requires restart of the server) and the script
can be idenpendend of domains served.

On the other hand using multiple tables (which is more efficient because
different tables have different locks) requires a restart of the server
but it shouldn't harm in your case because you have multiple instances
anyway.

  Jan.