[Serusers] Prefix to Domains vs ENUM

Alessio Focardi alessiof at interconnessioni.it
Mon Nov 10 18:28:18 CET 2003

>> The only problem could be that you dont have to remember SIP addresses
>> but very long phone numbers .... :)

AM> Well, people are already used to remember/keep numbers. It simply
AM> depends. I'll probably print sip:axelm at nic.at43.at on my business card,
AM> but i'll put +4359966366003 into my mobile phone.

>> Am I on the right way to undestand the matter ?

Every answer rises a question :)

Lets imagine 2 situations:

someone is calling you from pstn, he rings your number, your pbx directs
the call to your desk. Thats plain old telco style, even if you have
an ip pbx.

Then I compose your number in my grandtec phone, my server is
configured to ask for the translation of your number to a SIP address
using ENUM.

The "central authority" resolves the number because he knows that
"+435996636" is "nic.at43.at" phone, and 6003 is the extension of
"axelm".

Thats looks a lot like "lcr" with autofallback, user EVERY time
someone calls out from an Ip PBX or SIP server, great stuff.

BUT:

I checked and it looks like +878 is the "international prefix" for IP
telephony.

What is it for if you are using your usual phone number ?

Maybe for "pure ip" services, no pstn at all ?

Thank you, I'm more involved into this now ....

AM> yep, you're perfectly on track.

>> Beside this I'm wondering why Italy is out of this interesting ENUM trial
>> ... no one was willing ? Maybe you have find  someone here ! :)

AM> I'm currently not aware of the activities in Italy. I'll try to find
AM> out, please stay tuned.

Tnx, it looks very interesting, by the way I'm tryng to steer my
company to this field very soon.

--
Best regards,
 Alessio                            mailto:alessiof at interconnessioni.it