[Serusers] Prefix to Domains vs ENUM

Alexander Mayrhofer axelm at nic.at
Mon Nov 10 18:07:24 CET 2003

On (10.11.03 17:36), Alessio Focardi wrote:
> use "prefix to domain" rewriting
>
> there is a ser module for doing that, but in my opinion it looks pretty lame
> to keep up to date the association between prefix and phone numbers;
> when you will have 2.000.000 sip domains who is going to save you ? :)

exactly. You've hit the point. It's quite easy for you right now to
configure a prefix table, and it's quite easy for your users to remember
3 prefixes. Once you get beyond about 10 prefixes, everyone will carry
around small notes with a "prefix-howto" list. Once you get beyond 30
prefixes, people will not use the prefix list anymore.

> That's the reason why I was asking for a centralized prefix/domains translation table:
>
> its seems obvious to me that if everybody is going to decide is own associations things are going to be very funny in a few.

It's not only about keeping a centralized prefix directory. It's also
about getting those prefixes to the users.

And, the best of all, there are already guys managing a list of
prefixes: the international numbering plan. I don't think that many
people are willing to learn yet another prefix list ... so reusing the
international numbering plan for VoIP seems just logical. It's
transparent to the user, they don't need to change their behaviout when
placing calls ...

People who sit behind a PBX are probably more used to prefixes (pressing
"0" to dialling out, pressing "1" for the colleagues in the daughter
company just aquired), but that's probably not the majority, and simply
does not scale.

> use the "ENUM" method
>
> That's something like a "dns of phone numbers/sip domains" that's also compatible
> with the pstn numbering plan for better integration.
>
> You resolve the "fake pstn" phone number to obtain a SIP address,
> complete with domain.
>
> The only problem could be that you dont have to remember SIP addresses
> but very long phone numbers .... :)

Well, people are already used to remember/keep numbers. It simply
depends. I'll probably print sip:axelm at nic.at43.at on my business card,
but i'll put +4359966366003 into my mobile phone.

> Am I on the right way to undestand the matter ?

yep, you're perfectly on track.

> Beside this I'm wondering why Italy is out of this interesting ENUM trial
> ... no one was willing ? Maybe you have find  someone here ! :)

I'm currently not aware of the activities in Italy. I'll try to find
out, please stay tuned.

cheers

axelm